Sunday, September 6, 2009

Get Shorty!

Posted June 5, 2009
There was a movie that came out in 1995, starring John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, Danny DeVito, and more, called Get Shorty! If you haven't seen it, you should rent it because it is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. But this blog is not about that, it is about my dog–Shorty!

Shorty (photo left) is a mixed chihuahua that I adopted from our local animal rescue center called Woods Humane Society. Shorty is the cutest, sweetest dog! My kudos to Woods–a place that was so well run, very bright and clean, and the staff really cares about their animal population. But still it saddened me that animals have no home!

After the death of my last dog, Whiskers, who I found on street corner, I swore I'd never get another dog–but that was short-lived because I love animals. I knew that Whisers was abused and neglected because when I found him he had so many issues. It took him about one year to trust me, but still he continued to have many emotional problems.

Then there was Jessie (adopted from the dog pound), who too had many issues, specifically fear. When I went to the dog pound, I was sickened by the dark and horrific conditions. I wanted to take home every dog there. Photo of Whiskers and Jessie to the right

Since I was a little girl I have always loved animals, and in 1996 I was the parent of two Rottweilers, Brigette and Marilyn (name after the sex symbols: Bardot and Monroe). They were purebred German Rotties with papers and everything. They were the best dogs on the planet.


Since I had a crappy childhood, these two dogs
taught me more then any human ever did up to that point in my life: about bonding, unconditional love, responsibility, and so much more. But when Marlyn was just three, she was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer and died within a few months. Brigette, at age eight had the same cancer, and this time I tried the chemo for dogs. She lived a little longer, but she died six months later. I was devastated both times!


I tell this story because dog breeding is out of control in our country and it's all about money–greed. Very few breeders do it for the love of animals and most are inexperienced. My two Rotties suffered and died because they were inbred. I think we should have much stricter laws when it comes to breeding dogs! I won't even go into the animal cruelty that takes place with the breeding farms, or with dog fighting, puppy mills, and even our food supply–that would just piss me off!

FYI Articles:
I'm writing about "rescuing animals", because our animal population is out of control and our animals are treated poorly (neglect and abuse) and I am sick of it! We humans have the power and we should do something about it:
  • Educate ourselves and our family about this topic
  • Teach our children at an early age how to treat animals
  • Actively protect our animals
  • Make sure our animal shelters have decent conditions for the animals
  • Be watchful and report anyone that is abusing or neglecting an animal
  • Adopt more pets
  • If you can't or don't want an animal, and you have the money, you can:
  • Support your local shelter or animal rescue center
  • Volunteer to help out at shelter or animal rescue center
  • Join or support organizations that fight animal cruelty
  • So much more!

PS I also adopted two cats, Bandit and Tinkerbelle, that I will blog about later! So what are you waiting for? You can't have my "Shorty" but there a thousands (or more) adorable pets YOU CAN adopt! And check out the movie too!

No comments:

Post a Comment