Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti’s Catastrophic Earthquake: "Where’s God"?

When natural disasters cause so much death, destruction, and devastation; we ask why.

In the wake of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that hit Haiti on Tuesday, January 12th, and crushed most buildings in Port-au-Prince, including churches, hospitals and schools, and severely damaged the presidential palace, it's like time stood still and words cannot express what was about to come next.

Within 24 hours of this massive earthquake, I watched the human drama unfold. Knowing that immediately after this catastrophe struck thousands lie dead under the rubble, what is still most chilling is that there continue to be reports of people trapped beneath the collapsed structures crying for help. Where is the search and rescue; I keep asking?

Observing some of the live coverage by CNN's Anderson Cooper, Dr. Sanjay Gupta and other newscasters, who arrived in Haiti yesterday, their stories are chilling and the look on their faces haunting.

What about the children and helpless, the wounded and weary, the thirsty and hungry? Where are the medicine, doctors, water and food? I realize that there are tons of logistical problems in getting the Haitians the aid they desperately need, but where is it? The Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other charitable organizations have been part of the early responders and from what I know so far, rescuers from around the world poured into Haiti today. Many nations, including ours, are sending more resources to help the Haitian people and donations are pouring in. Help is on its way, but will it be soon enough?


Early reports have estimated more than 100,000 have perished in this devastation –– a number that could increase substantially –– and dead bodies lie in the streets. Observing the death, suffering, trauma, anguish, and chaos, I have rarely been able to contain my emotions and have wept bitterly. I struggle from within and keep asking, why? Why does this happen?


From my own personal faith, I have learned that trials and tribulations are used to build Christ-like character and over the years, have had my share of character building. Yet I've never understood the reasons behind calamities such as this one –– it just doesn’t make sense and it shakes the foundation of my faith.

Every time a natural disaster hits that causes so much death, destruction, and devastation, I stand dumbfounded and I always have that daunting question in my heart, why God? Now I ask, "where’s God in the midst of Haiti’s catastrophic earthquake and its aftermath"? And my answer is: "I don’t know." But I can only hope and pray that He arrives soon.


Author: Christine Lakatos — Published: Jan 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm
Haiti’s Catastrophic Earthquake: "Where’s God"?
Blog Critics Culture Section

No comments:

Post a Comment